Holi’s here but should that means getting caught up in the same old charade of trying to scrub the holi colours off, giving up, and stepping out in pink ears?
You can step out of this pattern easily with these before and after Holi care tips for protecting and nourishing your skin and hair from the harmful Holi colours.
Precautions to be taken before the festivities begin:
- Try to wear clothes that would cover most parts of your body ensuring minimum contact with the colours.
- Apply mustard oil or coconut oil or olive oil all over your face and neck before stepping out to play with colours. Sunscreen also does the job of protecting your skin, but it won’t be as effective as the above mentioned oils. Do not forget to apply oil behind your ears and near your fingernails.
- Do not apply any make-up before playing with colours.
- DO NOT FORGET YOUR HAIR. Massage some oil into your hair before stepping out.
- Try to use a cream based soap to remove the colours off your skin. Do not scrub the skin, try to remove the colours as gently as possible.
- If the colour stays on, follow the below given directions as per your skin type:
It’s very easy for chemicals to penetrate dry skin, hence, it is very necesary to take extra precautions if you have such skin type.
The best way to erase colours from your skin is by making a paste out of soyabean flour(1 tablespoon), milk, glycerin and a pinch of sea salt.
Scrub the paste onto your face and other colour affected areas for 6-8 minutes and wash it off.
All you have to do is mix besan(gram flour) with milk powder and lavendar oil. Make a mask out of it. Apply the same over your body for 15 minutes and wash it off.
Make a paste out of multani-mitti (fuller’s earth), glycerin and water. Apply the paste over your face, let it sit, wash it off after 15 minutes.
Mix some lemon juice with honey (in equal parts) and apply it over your face and neck, this not only helps you remove the stubborn colour stains but also helps you to restore some of the lost glow, not to forget, naturally.
Also, lastly, in case of colour stain on your scalp, massage egg yolk onto your scalp for around 30 minutes and wash it off.
For those who aren’t comfortable with the thought of applying egg yolk in your hair, make a paste out of methi powder and curd and use that instead of an egg yolk, in the say way.
HAVE A HAPPY, SAFE, AND ECO-FRIEDLY HOLI!